Facebook | Connecting People and Changing the World

Welcome to my first blog post for MKTG 290 - Digital Marketing and Communication. I will be sharing my learning experience on this week's topic on Facebook.

How Facebook Changed the World

Firstly, “TheFacebook” was created in 2004 by Mark Zuckerberg originally as a Harvard-only social network. By 2006 anyone over the age of 13 with a valid email address could join Facebook.

Overtime, Facebook rapidly evolved by introducing several new features. From launching the first iPhone app, introducing the “like” button, launching the “timeline”, and unveiling the graph search to rebranding as “Meta” with more features.

Today, it has grown into a global network with billions of users, revolutionizing how people communicate, share information, connect with the world, interact with brands, and even how companies do business due to its enormous impact on the marketing world.

My Experience Using Facebook

Secondly, Facebook has changed quite a bit since I first signed up for an account in 2010. Back then, I was not an internet user, but my friends told me how they interacted with friends and family members and experienced cool things in this digital space. They created an account for me, but within a few days, I deactivated the account due to privacy and safety concerns. However, the video below in this week's lecture enabled me to explore the platform more comfortably.

Singing up, setting up my profile, and navigating the website was simple and easy. The platform was user-friendly, and the general interface was basic and easy to learn. The privacy controls enabled me to manage my privacy preferences, which made me feel safer and more comfortable using the platform. Overall, I had a much better experience and enjoyed using the cool features like messenger, games, and marketplace.

Some of the Best Ways to use Facebook

Thirdly, there are so many things you can do on Facebook! In my opinion, some of the best ways it can be used are:

Personal Use

  • Connect with friends, family members, colleagues, or new people online.
  • Share pictures, music, videos, and articles.
  • Advertise and Search for Jobs.
  • Stay connected with celebrities, shows, and artists that you’re interested in.
  • Create fundraisers.
  • Create events.
  • Buy and sell items on Facebook marketplace.
  • Keep up with the latest news, trends, and tips.


Business Purposes

Business owners can create a business page on Facebook to promote or advertise their products and services, which will enable them to:

  • Connect with customers.
  • Provide immediate communication using tools like messenger.
  • Expand their customer base.
  • Build awareness for their brand’s story.
  • Encourage engagement.
  • Measure results and analytics.                                    

I believe this made Facebook the largest social media platform, with a substantial number of users, and makes it different from other platforms. Its array of user-friendly features changed the way we connect with each other and has become an important tool for businesses and individuals alike. Whereby Facebook is constantly updated and it's one of the first social media sites to introduce most of these features under one platform.

Angelina Ankai

Comments

Popular Posts